6054 Maple Street, Omaha, NE 68104
The story of the newly renovated, state-of-the-art Benson Theatre begins with Erastus Benson. Born in 1854 and raised and schooled in Iowa, Mr. Benson moved to Omaha in 1886. The following year, he purchased some 900 acres of farmland northwest of Omaha from John Creighton, a noted Omaha businessman and philanthropist. Benson Place, a suburb of Omaha, was platted on March 4, 1887. The Benson Theatre first operated as the Benalto Theater from 1923 to 1926. It could seat an assembly of 400 for vaudeville performances, film screenings and community events. As this one-of-a-kind space spreads its wings it strives to be an accessible incubator for creativity and a welcoming home for artists to share their work, their craft, and their inspiration with others.